Lower Back Exercise. Back Extension Machine
Back Extension Machine. Initial position – sit at the machine. Leaning the torso forward and the pad of the machine at shoulder-blade (scapula) level:
- Inhale and press back, straightening the torso as much as possible.
- Return slowly to the initial position while exhaling and begin again.
Back Extension Machine Performance
This exercise works the erector muscles of the spine. Focusing the effort on the low back, specifically the lumbosacral mass of the spinal muscles.
Back Extension Machine is excellent for beginners. Done in sets of 10 to 12 repetitions, it develops the strength to progress to more technically demanding exercises for the back.
To perform this exercise with heavier weights, reduce the number of repetitions in the set. Because the machine regulates the range of motion and the weight. The number of repetitions may vary during the same session.
Example: Two series of 15 repetitions with moderate weights and complete range of performance followed by two series of 7 repetitions with more weights and reduced range.
READ: More Back Exercises
- Do not put heavy weight. The number of repetitions should be at least 10-8. This is an isolated exercise and not basic. So you will use large weights in deadlift or classic deadlift.
- The starting position of the body between the chest and hips should be 90 degrees.
- Adjust the roller so that it is exactly in the middle of the blades. This is the most advantageous and convenient position when performing extension.
- Back Extension Machine includes 90% back extensors. So do not jerk if the weight at the beginning does not give in, this is a signal to reduce it. All movements are smooth with a sense of lower back.
- Make every effort to work at full amplitude. Fully bend and unbend the body, do not get crooked, when bending, inhale, when unbending, exhale. When unbending the body, it is advisable to tilt it back a little at the top point. The back during the exercise is flat.
- In addition to grasping the arms, hands can be crossed on the chest, but do not rest them on the hips. As you will help the body to unbend, reducing the load on the extensors of the back.
Back Extension Machine Workout Video
Application of the exercise
Who shall do it: Everybody from beginners to experts.
When: You should perform back extensions before this exercise. After torso extensions at a machine you should perform abs exercises.
How many: 3 – 4 sets, 10 – 20 repetitions.
Lower Back Exercises:
- Deadlift With Barbell
- Barbell Stiff-Legged Deadlift
- Back Extension
- Barbell Good Morning
- Barbell Sumo Deadlift
- Back Extension Machine
- Seated Good Morning