Back Extension Exercise
How to Do Back Extension Exercises. So lie facedown on a Roman chair and place the ankles under the roller pads. Because a result the axis of flexion passes through the coxofemoral joints. The pubic bone should not rest on the support pad:
- With the torso bent forward, extend the back to horizontal. Raise the head and continue into hyperextension by arching the lumbar spine. This must be performed carefully to protect your low back.
Back Extension. Performance of the exercise
Back Extension mainly develops the group of paraspinal erectors of the spine. (Iliocostales, longissimus thoracis, spinalis thoracis, splenius, and semispinalis capitis) and quadratus lumborum. To a lesser degree, the gluteus maximus and the hamstrings except for the short head of the biceps femoris.
Complete flexion of the torso develops the flexibility of the lumbosacral mass.
Supporting the pelvis on the bench. So that the axis is displaced and to the back of the body. Focuses the movement completely at the lumbosacral level. But less intensely given the range of motion and the greater power of the lever arm.
To increase the intensity, sustain the horizontal position of the torso at the end of the extension for a few seconds. Using an incline bench makes this exercise easier for beginners to execute.
Back Extension. Variations:
- You can performing the torso extension with a bar on the shoulders stabilizes the upper back, which focuses the effort on the lower part of the erector spinae muscles.
How to Do Back Extension with a bar across the shoulders
- The back extension machine allows you to focus on the lumbosacral mass of the spinal muscles (and see exercise, Torso Extensions at a Machine).
- To increase the intensity. Perform the back extension exercise. Holding a weight to the chest. Or behind the neck.
Variation extending at an incline bench
Back Extensions – Workout Video
Application of the exercise
Who shall do it. Everybody from beginners to experts.
When. Best at the end of a back workout. And after back extension, exercises for the press should be performed.
How many. 3-4 sets, 15-20 repetitions.
Lower Back Exercises:
- Deadlift With Barbell
- Barbell Stiff-Legged Deadlift
- Back Extension
- Barbell Good Morning
- Barbell Sumo Deadlift
- Back Extension Machine
- Seated Good Morning