Push-ups . Support yourself facedown on the ground, with arms extended, hands shoulder-width (or more) apart, and feet touching or slightly apart:
– Inhale and bend the elbows to bring the rib cage close to the ground without arching the low back excessively.
– Push back up to complete arm extension.
– Exhale at the end of the movement.
This movement is excellent for the pectoralis major and the triceps brachii. Part of the pectoral muscles mainly used in this exercise.
Varying the tilt of the chest focuses the work on different parts of the pectorals:
– Feet higher isolates the the clavicular head of the pectoralis major.
– Chest higher isolates the inferior part of the pectoralis major.
Varying the width of the hands focuses the work on different parts of the pectorals:
– Hands wider isolates the lateral part of the pectoralis major.
– Hands closer together isolates the sternal head of the pectoralis major.
While performing push-ups the serratus anterior contracts to maintain the scapula against the rib cage, locking the arms onto the torso.
Push-ups workout video
Who shall do it: Beginners and middle level athletes.
When: In the beginning of the training session dedicated chest.
Before push-ups you should perform incline dumbbell presses or parallel bar dips.
After push-ups you should perform dumbbell flys or pec deck flys.
– Shredded – 4 sets, 15-20 repetitions.
For Strength and Mass Gain you should perform strength exercises. Eg bench presses.